Central Nervous System; Neurodegenerative Diseases
My current research is focused on the development of cerebral interneurons. I determined site and timing of origin and migratory routes of prospective cannabinoid type 1 receptor containing interneurons. I demonstrated that neurochemical properties and fate of this interneuronal subgroup, similar to the projection neurons, are determined at the time and place of last cell division (Cerebral Cortex, 2009). I demonstrated for the first time translocation of synaptically interconnected basket interneurons in the postnatal rat hippocampus what may occur in response to local functional demand and represents a novel mode of cell movement and form of neuroplasticity (J. Neurosci., 2006).
- Morozov YM, Dominguez MH, Varela L, Shanabrough M, Koch M, Horvath TL and Rakic P. Antibodies to cannabinoid type 1 receptor co-react with stomatin-like protein 2 in mouse brain mitochondria. Eur. J. Neurosci., 2013. published online, doi: 10.1111/ejn.12237
- Morozov YM, Torii M, Rakic P.Origin, early commitment, migratory routes, and destination of cannabinoid type 1 receptor-containing interneurons. Cereb Cortex. 2009 Jul;19 Suppl 1:i78-89.
- Berghuis P., Rajnicek A.M., Morozov Y.M., Ross R.A., Mulder J., Urban G.M., Monory K., Marsicano G., Matteoli M., Canty A., Irving A.J., Katona I., Yanagawa Y., Rakic P., Lutz B., Mackie K., Harkany T. Hardwiring the brain: endocannabinoids shape neuronal connectivity. Science. 2007 Vol.316(5828), P.1212-1216.
- Morozov Y.M., Ayoub A.E., Rakic P. Translocation of synaptically connected interneurons across the dentate gyrus of the early postnatal rat hippocampus J. Neurosci. 2006 Vol.26(19), P.5017-5027.
- Bernard C., Milh M., Morozov Y.M., Ben-Ari Y., Freund T.F., Gozlan H. Altering cannabinoid signaling during development disrupts neuronal activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005. Vol.102(26), P.9388-9393.
- Morozov Y.M., Freund, T.F. Post-natal development of type 1 cannabinoid receptor immunoreactivity in the rat hippocampus. Eur. J. Neurosci., 2003. Vol.18, P.1213-1222.